The Cereal Box listed "18 Things to Do Before You Turn 18." Tara answered the questions on her blog. Your Humble Scribe, who teaches a Whole Herd of 18-and-Unders at Our Humble High School, wishes to record her answers, too. Please keep in mind that we've done most of these things since turning 18; and, For the Record, we've been Older than The Age of Majority for Quite. Some. Time!
Herewith is The List. This isn't really a *meme*, so Feel Free to Play Along if ya wanna.
1. Ride the world’s biggest rollercoaster - The Scribe is Coaster-Phobic, so that would be a NO.
2. Bungee jump - The 3 things The Scribe has vowed never to do: Sky Dive, Scuba Dive, & Bungee Jump. So, that would be a NO, too!
3. Score the winning goal/basket - Hard to believe now, but Your Humble Scribe was once the member of an adult-league city basketball team. And, yes, she scored the winning bucket in one game. So, please put a YES in that column!
4. Win an award, trophy or prize - The answer to #3 helps explain part of this. We were City Champs that season! So, mark us down as a YES.
5. Learn an instrument - Oh, gosh. Piano. Violin. Piano. Violin one more time. Guitar. Piano. A definite YES, but we can't play any instrument worth beans now!
6. Go backstage at a gig - Not backstage, but Back in the Day, High School Journalistas received passes to rock concerts. Promoters wanted a positive review, we suppose, so handed these freebies out quite a bit. Your Humble Scribe actually sat on one of the amps, on the stage, at a Doors Concert in Dallas. That's a YES!
7. Meet your idol - As a senior at Mizzou's School of Journalism When the World was Very Young, we met Dan Rather at a reception during J-Week, which is a Really Big Deal every spring (J-Week, not necessarily meeting Dan Rather). At the time, we were quite enamored of the intrepid-and still quite handsome-Mr. Rather. We met him again 2 years later, after we had turned "pro." So that's a Double YES.
8. Play a part in your favorite TV show - That would be a NO. Not even close. Ever.
9. Meet someone with your own name - YES. Just the other day, in fact.
10. Make a discovery - This could be interpreted in so many ways, couldn't it? Based on the evidence of our Many Years as a Mom & High School Teacher, that would be a definite YES!
11. Get away with the perfect practical joke - Have had several played on us, but not sure about the execution thereof. We'd put that in the NO column!
12. Own a pointless collection - Have you heard about the Happy Meal Toys? That's certainly a YES!
13. Invent a word that makes it into the dictionary - We have a friend who is the King of Malaprops. We've bent some words pretty much beyond recognition, but never well enough to make it into the dictionary. So, that's a NO.
14. Conquer your biggest fear - Which one? Of rodents? Snakes? Rejection? Death? A definite NO.
15. Raise money for charity - Just this past summer, helped Ye Olde Swim Team raise more than $7,000 for the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society. YES!
16. Pass your driving test the first time - Have you ever heard the expression, "The 3rd time's the charm?" That's us, in a nutshell. Mark us down as NO.
17. Complete a road trip coast to coast - Let's see. We've driven Dallas to El Paso, Dallas to Guadalajara, Mexico, Dallas to Columbia, MO about a zillion times & back, DC to Wisconsin a fare amount, DC to Columbia, MO, Columbia, MO to Newport, RI (do ya sense a definite College Road Trip Theme here?), New York to Florida, DC to Savannah, GA & back. Never totally cross-county. Guess that's a NO.
18. Reach 18 years of age - Multiply that by 3.Say YES & and Amen, brother!
So, we've got 11 in the YES column & 7 in the NO column. How did you do?