Friday, August 22, 2008

Happy 40th?

Something's fishy here. When we turned 40, there were balloons, cake & a Whole Lotta Hoo-Haw goin' on.

Don't blink; don't rub your eyes; don't run to fetch your specks. You're seeing correctly. Yup, this is a 7-11 store, all boarded up and ready for demolition.

As a child who came of age in Dallas in the late-'60s & '70s, we knew 7-11 because it was our hometown store. Slurpee, that Syrupy Sweet, Nitrogen-Laced Concoction that has captured our imaginations & our taste-buds for so long now, is the Franchise Player, so-to-speak, for the chain, which first opened its doors in Big D in 1927.

Slurpee recently turned 40, with much to-do and lots o' free Slurps all 'round. With a 7-11 on practically every corner in our neighborhood, at least, we thought the company was doing well. Even though the chain is owned by a Japanese company now, we know deep down in our little ol' pea-pickin' hearts that as Slurpee goes, so goes 7-11. And with Slurpee's Great Celebrity, the only direction we imagine that would be is up!

So, do ya think the recent development pictured here is a harbinger of things to come? Has the economy gotten so bad out there that The Home of The Slurpee has fallen on hard times, too? Perhaps this should be a question at the upcoming Presidential Debates between Johnny Mac & his opponent, the Man They Call B.O.

Don't tell the folks up in Winnepeg, Manitoba about these dire straits. This chilly Canandian burg was just named the Slurpee Capital of the World for the 9th time. Who'da thunk?

10 comments:

Candid Carrie said...

They should have at least covered the place with a black shroud. It wouldn't have been as good of a picture, but it would have showed more respect.

I put you in, organized or not! Thanks for finding us ;)

S'More Of My Thoughts said...

Wow, those northerners sure like their frozen treats! Last month we vacationed in Prince Edward Island and the Dairy Queen there is the busiest in the world. Ice cream stands on every corner. But none to be found in Florida. Crazy! (I stopped by via Kathi's site)

Veggie Mom said...

Do you think they're planning to build a new, up-to-date Slurpee Salon here, instead of the same old, tired, I've-Seen-It-Too-Many-Times-Before convenience store? Just a thought...

Dawn said...

Awww most of our 7-11's are long gone. I loved slurpees when I was growing up! And yeah, I've thought about writing a book, but never too seriously! Have a great weekend!

Kelly said...

Blue slurpees are/were the best!!

Hippie Family... said...

oh I am so sad for your 7-11.. I love slurpies.. sigh....
that's just wrong!

Karin @ 6ByHisDesign said...

I remember riding my bike to 7/11 as a kid and spending my cash on an orange slurpee. YUM-E!

Our local 7/11 is nasty, I have to say. It's in a strip mall next to a laundry mat...just very strange location.

It would still be devastating to see it go. I should take my kids there and by them a slurpee just for the memories. I think I will.

I'll take hand sanitizer, though. Just in case.

Thanks for stopping by Missouri yesterday!

Blog Stalker said...

I have personally seen the stores go down with an emergence of more friendly, brighter stores. Unless 7-11 decides to revamp the old look and feel of their stores, I'm afrain we will all see more of the closed up boarded stores. Sad really. But I find myself drawn to the newer stores. They at least have bathrooms you can use. You take a gamble on a 7-11.

Great post. Maybe should have been called, 'Memoir of a convenience store'

Gina said...

Slurpees and brain freeze, perfect together.

Mrs. Who said...

Nooooooo! Not the wonderful 7/11 Stores!! I used to stop there often on my way home from work when I was a teenager to buy snacks and a Slurpee. So sad!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin