The best--and least destructive--prank (from this year, anyway) involved a handful of Senior Girls bringing gallon jugs of water to school & sloshing it all around down the hallway (Senior Hall, natch) that bisects the school. A few donned bikinis, & a spur-of-the-moment Slip 'n' Slide ensued. A photo of a Senior Chiquita priming the pump, as it were, appears above.
Today we're supposed to be on the lookout after school for something involving pancake syrup. Ick.
We've seen some destructive Senior Pranks over the years, some creepy practical jokes and some downright funny hijinx as well. Here's a Top 10, in no particular order. Your Humble Scribe does not endorse any of them--except maybe Numero Uno.
- A Cherub filled the locks to the outside doors with liquid lead. Destructive and annoying.
- A group of Senior Boyz let dozens of white mice loose in between classes. Some of the terrified rodents didn't survive the onslaught of thousands of teenagers bearing down on them. Some of their progeny still live in our book rooms, our cafeteria, the Chorus Room & the Journalism Suite.
- Along those same lines, someone brought a cereal box full of mice to a gym pep rally and let them loose in the middle of the festivities. We felt sorry for the little critters, but not for the screaming cheerleaders.
- Stink bombs, stink bombs & more stink bombs. Nasty as well as unimaginative.
- Someone phoned in a bomb threat on the first day of AP testing. The doors to the school opened an hour late, and the cherubs who ride the bus had to stand out in the rain.
- Speaking of the Big Yellow Cheese, seniors one year decided it would be a good idea one day to ride the bus to school instead of driving. Hundreds of unplanned-for passengers backed up the whole system, down to the elementary school level.
- Last year, hundreds of Cherubs gathered at Senior Rail, the staircase that is midway down Senior Hall. They all opened their backpacks and, in unison, dumped binders and all their contents down the staircase. Flotsam & jetsam were a foot deep in some places.
- Every year a lame-o or two decides to pull the fire alarm during senior final exams. So imaginative, guys!
- Two years ago, the seniors with parking passes parked instead in the neighborhoods surrounding the school, where the underclass-persons usually park. They then walked to the senior lot, with beach chairs, umbrellas & picnic baskets, and partied in their assigned parking spaces. When the younger drivers arrived at school, the neighborhoods were full. They drove down to the Senior Lot, & those spaces were occupado también, with seniors throwing Frisbees and snacking on chips & dip.
- 10 years ago, a group of Senior Girls collected hundreds of bras from willing contributors. They strung them all together & hung them from one end of Senior Hall to the other, with a big sign attached at the midway point, which said: THANKS FOR YOUR SUPPORT!