Monday, May 5, 2008

Making *Meme*ories

When we were little and the World Was Very Young, we started fiddling around with our Mom's IBM Selectric. One of our favorite things to do--besides correct typos with the cool backspace thingy--was to respond to Chain Letters. We didn't break a "chain" for years, until we got too old and cranky, and folks stopped sending them to us. When the chain mail started dropping off, we shed at least one tear.

We just recently entered the Blogosphere, but have uncovered what we think is the kissin' cousin--you know, the kin who's way more fun than your Great Aunt Matilda, and makes the Family Reunions worth attending?--of the Chain Letter. My Bellingers just sent us a *meme*. We hope we're doin' this right, so here goes.

The *meme* originated with Mr. Teacher and got to us from My Bellringers via Edna Lee, whom we don't think we're in contact with yet. Here are the rules, as they were explained to us:

1. The rules of the game get posted at the beginning.
2. Each player answers the questions about themselves.
3. At the end of the post, the player then tags 5-6 people and posts their names, then goes to their blogs and leaves them a comment, letting them know they’ve been tagged and asking them to read your blog.
4. Let the person who tagged you know when you’ve posted your answer.

Drumroll, please...Here are The Questions & The Answers from Your Humble Scribe:

1. What was I doing 10 years ago? Glad you asked. I was doing the same thing I'm doing now--advising high school newspaper and yearbook staffs (one of each) at OHHS, teaching AP English Language and raising two of my Own Personal Cherubs (one now 21, one almost 18; both girls; both too smart for their own britches).

2. What are 5 things on my to-do list for today (not in any particular order)? a. Write a blog entry. b. Attend an after-school meeting--bleah! c. Go to the grocery store because Cherub Numero(a?) Dos wants to carbo-load before tomorrow's AP Stat exam. d. Cajole my newspaper cherubs into working on their next deadline. Like that's gonna happen. e. Teach my J1-ers (Intro to Journalism) something about layout. They're innocent. They still want to learn.

3. Snacks I enjoy: a. Guacamole--with or without chips. b. Melted brie with multi-grain Wheat Thins. c. Anything chocolate. d. Anything Mexican--did I mention guacamole?

4. Things I would do if I were a billionaire: a. Buy a house on the beach in Duck, NC. b. Invest in a trust fund for each of my kiddos. c. Swim 2 miles a day. d. Give a lot of my dough to the American Cancer Society. Also to Alzheimer's research. e. Travel, travel and more travel.

5. 5 of my bad habits: a. Insufferable nag. b. Tend to shriek when agitated. c. Won't let it go--will worry something to death. d. Way too opinionated for my own good. e. Never really learned how to behave in an obsequious fashion. Favorite bumper sticker: Question Authority. But seriously--I've mellowed with age!

6. 5 places I've lived: a. Chappaqua, NY (hometown now to Bill & Hill Clinton) b. South Lyon, MI c. Dallas, TX d. Columbia, MO e. Washington, DC

7. 5 jobs I've had: a. Dorm cafeteria dishwasher--officially known as a "racker-stacker." b. Reporter/Copy Editor/Travel Writer (why did I give that one up?) c. Capitol Hill Press Secretary d. Public Relations for Big Oil (boo, hiss! I know, I know!) e. Public High School Journalism Teacher (I've redeemed myself 100 times over! Save the Whales!! And the Baby Sea Lions, too!)

8. 5 people I want to know more about…but who probably won’t respond... a. Ms. Bellringers (am I allowed to "tag" back at one who has "tagged" moi?), because she is Also a Public High School Journalism Teacher; she used to work at The Dallas Morning News (I'm a long-ago DMNer); she's apparently fearless, and she's a graduate of the high school at which I've taught for 14 years (yes, the Blogosphere isn't as big as you thought it was, is it?). b. tara r., because she's a mom after my my own heart. Hillarious!! c. Mr. Teacher, 'cause he started this janx. d. Chez, because I read his blog every day and he really has something to say. e. Uncomfortable Adventures: We High School Journalism Teachers need to stick together! Won't even attempt to clue you in on how long we tried to get all Hi Tech and do hyperlinks and stuff to this post, but finally figured it out. Hey, we're *n00bs*! That's what *meme*ories are made of, right?


Clix said...

I dunt think you can tagback, cuz she's already answered the questions before taggin' you. (She also tagged me, BTW.)

Mister Teacher said...

Um, I already did this meme, and I DIDN'T START IT!!!!
Matthew K Tabor, will you please go now!!!

Tara R. said...

I'm working on my list.

Melissa B. said...

Clix & Mr. T: Sorry, I'm not good at this Cyberspace Chinese Checkers stuff! Tara: Can't wait to read ur list!

Edna Lee said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Edna Lee said...

Hi! I'm Edna Lee. Since you mentioned that you haven't met me yet, I figured I'd introduce myself.

I'm having a great time nosing around on your blog. Good Stuff! It's dripping with sarcasm and that's music to my ears.


Sean Hogan said...

b. Tend to shriek when agitated.

I LOL'ed at this one.

Melissa B. said...

Hoagie: Yup, you've got MY number, all right!


Blog Widget by LinkWithin