Monday, January 1, 2001

About Moi

I'm a high school journalism teacher with almost 17 years down the tube in a second career. I have a Bachelor of Journalism and a Master's Degree in Urban Affairs. Strange bedfellows, yes, but somehow I make it work.

I was an "ink-stained wretch" at two daily newspapers and worked in politics before I got this high school gig. One neat bit of Mrs. Scribe Trivia? When I was 21, I interned in NYC for Cosmo and the Legendary Helen Gurley Brown. I should write about that sometime, shouldn't I?

Room 215 is my kingdom. I'm just like the proverbial "fly on the wall." My own daughters have said that I'm the mom you can't slip anything past. My students keep me young, and I'm working right now in the best job I've ever had, even though as a journalist I visited six continents and dozens of countries. By conservative estimates, I've had about 2,500 students come through my classroom door and learn a little something from me over the years.

Let's see...at Our Humble High School, which just so happens to be located in Suburban DC, I notice trends, I advise my journalistas and I pretty much watch the world go by. I'm adviser to two mega-award-winning scholastic publications ~ one student-run newspaper and one student-run yearbook ~ plus I teach AP English Language & Composition.

My fall is hectic, my winter is worse, my spring is fraught with nervous seniors almost ready for college but not yet sick enough of high school to leave the nest...just yet. Plus, I have the joy of picking the new staffs every May. If you see me pulling out my curly blond locks any time around May 15, it's because I Just. Don't. Want. To. See. Anyone. Cry!

Summers, however, are the best of times. My two Ellas ~ Una y Dos ~ hang around sometimes, and I get to sleep late and read...two of my favorite pastimes.

Music=Beatles all the way! Plus I love Mary Chapin Carpenter. Otherwise, I'm eclectic, and my iPod features a little bit o' everything, from Tammy Wynette to Ludacris.

Books=Anything and everything. I'm still steamed after reading The 9-11 Report. The Opposite of Fate, by Amy Tan and In the Time of the Butterflies, by Julia Alvarez, are my Bibles.

Politics=As a professional journalist, I was leary of any and all politicians. I have a penchant for liking Bush the Elder, while pretty much detesting Bush the Younger. The New Guy, BO (unfortunate initials, those), has been a disappointment to me, so far. I do need my daily political fix or I feel undernourished. Yeah, typical Inside the Beltway type, except that I live and work Outside the Beltway.

I like to cook, I love to eat, and travel is my "thing." I garden, sometimes swim, and follow those perennial losers, The Washington Nationals, with a quasi-passion. BTW, I call them The Gnats. But give me a good book and a great beach ~ particularly at The OBX ~ and I'll be set for life.

I keep threatening to retire, but don't know what I'd do without my students, whom I call my "cherubs". And I guess you should know that this blog, The Scholastic Scribe, is dedicated to My Dear Family: Mr. Fairway, Ella Numera Una and Ella Numera Dos.

19 comments:

Ribbon said...

That's a good read.
Nice to meet you...

best wishes
Ribbon :-)

Tom.... said...

Ms. Scribe: I like your site. Would you be interested in posting a link to my novel? YOu can see it at https://booklocker.com/books/3923.html.
I have an ad on So You Want To Teach, to see what it looks like.
Thanks for your consideration.
I hope to make your site a daily visit.
Tom Anselm

Moms Fighting Fat said...

The look and feel of your entire blog is spectacular and what a brilliant introduction!

vfdvgf said...

To prepare for world of warcraft gold his big date,FFXI Gil a young man went 2moons gold up on to the roof AOC Power Leveling of his apartment building in order Atlantica gold to tan himself.Not wanting any tan lines to show, he sunbathed in the nude. Unfortunately,maple story power leveling the young man fell Knight Online Noah asleep while on the roof, world of warcraft power levelingand managed to get a Guild Wars Gold sunburn on his "tool of the trade".aoc power leveling He was determined not to miss his date,flyff power leveling so he put some lotion 2moons dil on his manhood and wrapped it 2moons power leveling in gauze.The blonde showed dog clothes up for the date at his apartment,Maple Story Power Leveling and the young man treated her world of warcraft gold to a home flyff gold cooked dinner,power leveling after which they archlord money went into the living room to watch archlord power leveling a movie.During the movie,last chaos gold however

Raising Z said...

My degree in Zoology led me to teach Elementary School. It is funny how some people never mean to be teachers but end up there and it is the job that was meant for them. I am out on a very long maternity leave at the moment but know I will go back once my little peanuts are ready :) I'm really enjoying your blog so far.

PJ said...

admire women like you. I mean enough drive to gety yourself somewhere. When I was in highschool, I thought seriously about going to college for journalism or broadcasting. I use to enjoy writing. I won a national essay contest when I was a Junior which took me to Canada for a week. I loved it. I also thought about broadcast journalism because I love to talk. Anyway, neither came to pass. I quit school 3 months shy of graduation, got married, and moved from El Paso, Texas to Ft. Monmouth NJ. I'm curious can you tell me what part of Texas you hail from? I look forward to getting to know you better. I hope you stop by my blog and chat awhile.

PJ

Anonymous said...

Nice to meet you!!!
[URL=http://superjonn.50webs.com/restaurant-week-march.html]restaurant week march[/URL]

Anonymous said...

Nice to meet you!!!
[url=http://tennis-avenue.cphoster.com/]http://tennis-avenue.cphoster.com/[/url]
http://tennis-avenue.cphoster.com/

Bethany said...

Love your posts and found even your About Me to be a blast to read. I teach high school English in Alabama and seem have the same spirit in my classroom as you. I can't wait to read more. Happy New Year!

Lita C. Malicdem said...

My first time to read an "About Me" box in a full blown blog itself. How did you do that? It's really nice, no space left idle here. And I love Ms. Scribe's bling on the sidebar, too. You deserve more than those awards, more will come to you soon because you write brilliantly.

Emma said...

Returning your SITS visit! You've had an interesting career. I dabbled in teaching and know how much energy that requires. Bravo to you!

Jenny said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog. I am a teacher as well and can't wait to catch up on your blog!

Jenny

BECKY said...

Hi! Just popped over to say hello, after I read your comment on my blog! I LOVE your blog! I definitely think we're gonna be Blog Sistas!

Saucy B said...

My mom just retired from teaching the 4th grade. She loved it to the end. It's a tough job that people do not appreciate enough.

Thanks for stopping by today. :-)

Victoria said...

I love your sassiness and your open-mindedness. Refreshing.
Victoria

Anonymous said...

It was many years ago we first selected Top Restaurants in the U.S. See it. http://restaurants-us.com/co/Denver/Whiskey%20Bar/80205/

Lindsay {Designer Wife} said...

I love reading a great bio. So excited to read around your blog some more - and yes, you must write about your NYC internship sometime! :)

Linds

Anonymous said...

professional answer to this insurance question: Do all states require car insurance? http://insuranceinstates.com/california/Downey/State%20Farm%20Insurance/90240/

Steve said...

Hi Mrs. Scribe,

I know this may seem a bit odd (especially in the comments but I couldn't find a contact form or email address), but I came across your site this morning, and finally mustered up the courage to contact you.

My name is Steven Daar. I provide a lot of free finance and retirement advice to teachers. My website is located at:
http://teachersretirementhelp.com

If you're open to the idea, I would be interested in opening an early
stage dialogue regarding possible partnerships between your website and mine. Please let me know if you would be available to chat & good luck in the upcoming EDU Blog Awards!

I hope to talk soon.

Best Regards,

Steve

P.S. You can contact me at sdaar2 @ gmail.com or steve @ teachersretirementhelp.com

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin